Tuesday, March 3, 2015

LeSean McCoy traded to Buffalo

First Reaction: WHAT THE FUCK?!?!?! You don't just go around trading your best player for a guy that did not play last year for what my friend Connor called a "season destroying knee injury." Just in terms of tit-for-tat this has to be one of the worst trades in the history of the NFL. LeSean McCoy has established himself as the best RB in league for the last six years, especially consider Adrian Peterson is not in the league at the moment. I'm not going to focus too much on the what Eagles can and cannot do in the draft and free agency in the post, it will purely be based on what this trade is and what it means for the state of our Philadelphia Eagles.

Analysis: Since well before Chip Kelly arrived in Philadelphia, dating all the way back to the Eagles run to the NFC Championship game vs. Arizona, we have been praying for a non-mediocre defense. And this may well be beginning of the assembly of that. Think about, one of the few positions that we can say that the Eagles are good at is RB(don't get me wrong, I'm truly gutted that I won't get to see Shady make Antrel Rolle look plain stupid two games every year). We traded a position that we were good with to fill a need. We can't go around complaining that we can't play defense and begin mutiny should the Eagles make a move(I know, I suggested that earlier, I'm sorry I take that back.) Am I saying that Kiko Alonso is going to come in and be next Ray Lewis and dominate at the Linc? No, but this move has potential. Let's not write it off quite yet. Give it until Week 10 before we stamp the evaluation of this trade.

Now this second bit, is a bit hard to describe. It is no doubt that the Eagles have been more Duck-ish since Chip Kelly came to Philadelphia, and what I mean by that is that he has kept a lot of players that played for him in Eugene, ex. Casey Matthews, Josh Huff, and Kiko Alonso. I don't know how I feel about this necessarily because this means Chip Kelly will take players that he likes over the best option available. On a side note, this is kind of how I feel about Jurgen Klinsmann keeping Jermaine Jones around by making him play CB. I don't like that because I'm afraid that we're going to give up players in the future that could have been better for the Eagles overall, but were not selected because Chip did not like them for whatever reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment