Wednesday, April 29, 2015

...... So Now What?

So.... Now what? Union lose at Columbus 4-1 and show what happens when you have problems at the very top of your organization, with Sakiewicz. Someone who I think gravely under qualified to run a sports team. In fact, if Red Bull didn't come in to buy the Metrostars in 2007(I think that was the year), he would not be screwing up our team.

I believe most of you know that I want a change in the FO. But I'll write about how the team can throw some bandages on this team and hopefully get a patch-job until the summer transfer window opens and we can do some actual things. Assuming Sakiewicz realizes that he needs to buy a coupple players this summer. You know, guys that won't blow chunks (aka Carlos Valdes and Rais M'bolhi) and will step up. So this is what you do.

1 - Get a proper starting XI
There has been way too much shuffling around with the Starting XI for us to win. I know guys were/are injured and Pfeffer getting called up the U20s didn't help. But, get a proper starting eleven. And choose youth over experience you're in doubt. This is what I mean, if I have to choose between Pfeffer and Carroll for DM spot, I choose Pfeffer because if I were to see either person mess up, I would be able to justify Pfeffer because he's young, and can/will learn from it. Another example, instead of throwing Fabinho out there last week, I would have rather seen Raymond Lee. Yeah, I know that Lee was a big part in the two late goals vs. SKC, but I would rather have  youth mess rather than my older guys. Especially when you know that youth players are physically gifted.(Lee is the second fastest player on Union behind Gaddis). Also, put Le Toux on the bench. I like the guy, but he has done nothing through 9 games to show that he has deserves to play 84 minutes per game. Put Ayuk in, at the very least, he gives you energy and has given you more offensive production than Le Toux + Wenger. Also, that'll send a message throughout the locker room for all the guys to wake the hell up because you are benching the most successful player in franchise history.

In my opinion, this is what you go with vs Toronto. 4-2-3-1. I know, no real surprises there. (Lee(Gaddis)-Vitoria(White)-Edu-Gaddis(Williams);Lahoud-Pfeffer;Sapong-Maidana-Ayuk;Casey). With the subs, I say you bring on McLaughlin for Ayuk, Nogueira for Lahoud, and Aristeguieta or Catic for Casey). I don't think Nando will be be physically fit enough to go a full 90 after missing the last game.  I've seen which guys are willing to do what it takes to win and put the blood, sweat and tears in. I'm not saying that the others guys don't work hard; all I'm saying is that its time for the guys who look disinterested or aren't performing well to ride the pine.

2 - Raise Hell
Go watch the "MLS 36: Matt Besler and Aurelien Collin" and go to the 19:57 mark where Peter Vermes is addressing the guys at half time. I don't know if Curtin is doing this; I don't think he is because he is a guy who wants to talk things with guys. Raise hell Curtin, call guys out. Get in their face, throw some chairs. Let them know who is boss. It's not your job to be their friend, it's your job to get every drop of success out of the players as you can. I think to an extent, great coaches demand a healthy fear from their players. Do you think Greg Popovich says you know what Tony, You need to do better? No! He gets in his face, goes all drill sergeant on his guys and gets them to get their crap straight. I'm not saying be the next Peter Nowak and deprive your players of water during practice, but your job is not to be their friend, but their coach. Also, show some emotions on the sidelines; every game, the camera points to you and have this stoic look on your face. You're not modeling man, get in fourth officials face, make things happen

This is what I meant by allowing Jim Curtin to grow as a manager in my previous post. He needs to learn these things and I think he will, because if not anything else, I think the man cares for this team and the fans.

3 - Transfers
First things first, clear the cap space by getting of Rais M'bolhi and hope some European team picks up Carlos Valdes from Nacional. I don't know if Nick Sakiewicz knows, but Rais played in a league called MLS, and he stunk it up so bad that he was replaced by a kid in the North American 3rd division.

Union Transfers tweeted the Erik Hurtado is on the trading block, and they could really use a guy like that. He is fast, has a left foot(something Union need really bad right now), and can provide some very much needed depth to the roster, especially in mid-field. Try to get a left-footed LB and a proper Defensive mid-fielder. I would keep Edu at the CB spot and have him continue to learn that position because if he wants a shot back on the USMNT, it will have to be at CB because US is too deep in box-to-box mids. And, without a question, Edu is the best athlete on the roster.

Also, if you can trade/sell either Gaddis or Williams at the end of the season, I would do it. I would keep Gaddis because he has a higher ceiling and I think they are about equally good. Regardless, if you should offload one, simply because you don't want to block up too much of your salary cap with LB/RBs. Maybe look to get a young RB(maybe Generation Adidas player) in the draft.

4 - Patience
I might sound crazy, but I have blind faith in Jim Curtin. I like the guy. Is he perfect? No. But he is a young head coach that still a lot to learn and has probably been thrown into the fire a bit too early. However, I think we as fans should bare the storm(I know I hate saying this). Allow the team to learn to be better. It is just not good for the development of our players to have such inconsistency at the manager position. Do we really want to be the next TFC(not financially, but successfully) of the MLS? Nope! Patience man, give the coach time to right this ship!

No comments:

Post a Comment