Thursday, April 16, 2015

Thoughts Philadelphia Union 1 - 1 NYCFC

I'm in the middle of an exam week so I'll have to make this quick. I was just gonna skip, but I wanna make a commitment to doing these after every game.

First off, I wanna make a correction from my last post, I went back and looked at the game from last week, and Ayuk is pretty good at the combination play(as Jim Curtin pointed out during the presser). So, my apologizes for that.

So, here it is. Post match reactions:

The good
-Backline was solid once again. Especially Vitoria and Edu. They still struggle against combination play, but that'll get better with time and continuity.
-Curtin's subs were good for a second game in a row. Maidana, Pfeffer, and Sapong clearly made a difference. Hope Noguiera isn't injured too bad(And now that we're not gonna see them for a few months, I hope the same for David Villa). I mean, I would have been kind of sad if Villa hurt himself really bad. But let's on Saturday he tweaked his hamstring a little would have to be out for a week maximum, I would not have felt too bad for Man City B.... I mean, NYCFC, I don't know why I keep messing up like that.
-Nando continues to impress me with his guts and effort. I wanted one of his long range shots to go in simple because as Philly fans we normally don't see them and it would have a goal nonetheless.
-Ayuk really freaking fun to watch.
-Just because we have seen how bad a team can play without this, I'll put camaraderie on here. It was awesome to see Sheanon Williams push Grabavoy back after that one play. I saw(and I could be wrong) that Grabavoy was mad because Ayuk wrongfully pushed Villa out of bounds(which he didn't, he clearly had the better positioning). 

The bad
-Lack of possession will hurt us(41%-59%). We could have the same back four as AC Milan, but if we continue to lose the possession battle as bad as we do, we're eventually going to get burned.
-Wenger just seems out of sorts. I would like to see Pfeffer start in his spot next game just to light a fire under Wenger's butt. Also, as much running as Le Toux does, I still wanna see him get on the score sheet. I know he's going through a slump right now but Jamison Olave has more goals for Philadelphia than Le Toux does seven games in.
-Teams are going to game plan for Ayuk, and he will need to add layers to his game and continue to develop to be as effective as he has been(which makes sense for a guy that's really young).

Sunday:
-I think the Union will push and press to get a goal, maybe two if they're lucky in the first(maybe 60 minutes) if possible but they will run out of gas because 3 games in 8 days is a very tough ask. In terms of the line-up, I have no idea. We're still not 100% fit, so I can't even predict what will happen.


No comments:

Post a Comment